Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pedro Signs With Phillies [David Stefanini]

According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, the Philadelphia Phillies have signed Pedro Martinez to a 1 year contract worth $1 million, and could reach an up to $1.5 million with incentives. We all knew this would happen once Pedro passed his physical.

I think this is a great signing for the Phillies and it gets my very angry, once again at the Mets. Why not pay him the money? He only got a maximum of $2.5 million, the Mets couldn't find $2.5 million to spend on a starter? Of course not, but they'll spend $2.5 million on a bench player.

Back to the story of the Phillies, I think this move doesn't make them the favorites nor do I think it tremendously improves their rotation. It makes them a slightly better team with a slightly improved rotation. Pedro is not the Pedro we're used to seeing, and I doubt he will be very good this season, but I do think he'll pitch very effectively especially when playing the Mets.

I wonder if Pedro does well, will he be looking to come back next season and pitch again? I would think so and he deserves it. He is one of the best pitchers in history and a first ballot Hall of Famer. The Phillies just made a very smart move, I have a feeling Pedro will be much better than people think.

Labels: , , ,