Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Matt Cassel Signs 6 Yr Deal [David Stefanini]

Matt Cassel and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed on a 6 year extension worth 63 million dollars. My initial reaction to this is, are you kidding me? Yes Cassel had a good season with the Patriots last season, but it's the Patriots. This year, he is with the Chiefs, who don't exactly have the same talent level in terms of players or coaches.
The main concern I have about Cassel going forward is how good will he be outside of Belichick's system. We all know he is a genius and the way he manages a game is brilliant. I feel Cassel accelerated last season mainly for this reason and the compliments of WR's around him. The Chiefs don't have Randy Moss or Wes Welker, or anyone close to their talent level.
Do I think Cassel will be a complete bust, no, but I don't think he is going to be a star. He will be an average quarterback who can lead a team to some victories but will need a lot of talent around him to take the team very far.

Labels: , , ,