Sunday, June 25, 2006

Red Hot Reyes [J. Mark English]

Toronto (AP) - Reyes had four hits again, including a leadoff homer, and Beltran hit a three-run shot to lead the New York Mets to a 7-4 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays on Sunday.

The streaking Reyes went 4-for-5 for the second consecutive game and the third time in five days. He extended his hitting streak to 13 games and is on a 32-for-57 (.561) tear that's raised his batting average from .246 to .302.

"Unbelievable. That guy has been hot this last week. Four hits today, four yesterday," Beltran said. "I wish I could have two days like that."

It was Reyes' fifth game this season with at least four hits, tying Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki for tops in the major leagues. Reyes also got his big league-leading 34th stolen base and scored twice.

"I always say to him, 'You have the potential to be one of the best players in the game,'" Beltran said. "He's got the potential to be the best shortstop in the game."

Reyes said he's just trying to put the ball in play.

"I feel real good right now," he said. "I made a little change in my swing. A lot of pitchers were throwing me off-speed pitches outside. I tried to pull the ball before. Now I'm staying with it."