Saturday, May 20, 2006

Lousy Flight; Thank You Mets [J. Mark English]

Arrived at JFK today, walked through security at JET Blue Terminal, and I'm set to watch the Mets take on the Yankees. Sitting at the bar in the terminal, the Mets jump out to a quick lead, thanks to a double by Wright.
I'm on the plane. Shortly after take off, the monitor allows me to see the game from the ultimate sky box. A portly man many rows ahead is wearing a oversized Jeter jersey, hanging his head. My arms nearly knock the flight attendant to the ground when I raise them in delight after Cliff Floyd's homerun.
My jaw is in pain...Billy Wagner is called in (not to save) but to put the hammer down. He walks this guy, lets this guy get a hit, hits this guy...and all of a sudden. Tied game.
11th innning now, my face, the same color of that annoying Yankee fans jersey. Is this really happening? Rivera, the "Sandman" gets the save.
Shortly after the Mets handed their gift packaged win over to the Yankees...we experienced 15 minutes of the worst turbulence....