Saturday, April 29, 2006

English Sport Update

"Steve McClaren said on Saturday revelations that he had an affair should not affect his chances of becoming the next England national football team coach.

"The Sun newspaper said on Saturday that McClaren had an affair with a secretary during a trial separation from his wife.

With Luiz Felipe Scolari seemingly taking himself out of the running on Friday because of the press intrusion into his life, the Middlesbrough coach McClaren is the top candidate to replace Sven Goran Eriksson when the Swede steps down in the summer.

McClaren, whose side reached the final of the Uefa Cup this season, said: 'It happened a while ago while my wife and I were not together, and it's in the past.'

"'I feel this is a private matter, but in view of speculation about the England job, I felt I had to clarify the situation. I don't know why this has come out at this time but I want to clear it up.

"'I was separated from my wife a year ago and had a three-month affair. It ended at the end of August last year and I went back to my wife in September,' he said.

"Former Brazil coach Scolari appeared to be the top choice of the Football Association for the job. But the Brazilian, who is contracted to lead Portugal until July 31, said he was upset with the media, with 20 journalists camped outside his house."